Re: [MV] Roll bar on 5 ton and deuces? Anyone know of a mil one?

From: Steve Randall (srandall64@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 20:21:25 PST

My imediate thought would be: On a soft shoulder or on asphalt this could
potentially either act as a pole vault for the truck if it stuck in at any
speed or turn the truck into a giant spinning top which could be deadly to
other vehicles, or pedestrians in close proximity, or even shoot the cab of
the truck into objects such as tree's or buildings.
Just a thought..
Steve

>From: "Bruce Beattie" <bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu>
>Subject: Re: [MV] Roll bar on 5 ton and deuces? Anyone know of a mil one?
>Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:04:43 -0800
>
>Here is my crazy idea folks. It will take a bit of explaining though, so
>bear me out.
>
>Suppose that you had this hypothetical truck that had a heavy duty I beam
>sticking out
>parralel to the forward bottom edge of the bed, as though some one shoved
>it accross
>the frame just behind the cab but in front of the bed.
>
>Lets say it sticks out 5 or 6 feet. but is solidly mounted on the frame.
>Yea I know,
>its going to play havock with things that you pass, but hear me out, this
>is just to explain things.
>
>Now suppose that you start to roll on to the side that has this beam
>sticking out?
>Will the truck roll over? I don't think so.
>
>Now that we have established this possibility, lets make it practical.
>
>Set this up with really heavy nested box beams such that under normal times
>it all stays
>where it should be and not sticking out.
>
>Now the truck starts to turn over, as it passes thru a critical angle that
>you determine,
>a latch pops off and the nested tubing shoots out and latches.
>
>Obviously there is a little engineering involved here to get the right
>steel sizes and
>mechanisims in place, but I think this could be made to work.
>
>The benefits of this should be obvious.
>
>Some things to consider might be to have an air accelerator to make sure
>the steel gets
>out fast enough.
>
>You also need to think safety so that this can't shoot out until that
>critical
>angle is reached.
>
>The critical angle should be slightly larger than the rated tip angle, but
>not by much.
>
>Ok guys, I stuck my head out here, please don't chop it off with anything
>rusty please...
>
>Bruce MVPA 23824

Steve Randall

Click here for a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee.