Re: [MV] M35 and M151 and brakes

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 12:48:16 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: <uniquemachine@cybcon.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2004 12:18 PM
Subject: [MV] M35 and brakes

> Also, I believe the M151's went through
> a bore size upgrade, but I don't remember the specifics, I just
> remember doing it to mine.

The M151's went from having 3/4" cylinders all the way around to having 3/4"
cylinders in the rear, and 1" cylinders in the front (the front doing
something like 70% of your braking, as I recall.) Some have put the 1"
cylinders all the way around, but having driven a 151 so equipped - I
wouldn't recommend it - as the rear wheels (no load) tend to lock up solid
while the fronts are still decelerating. Not a great thing in the wet. Not
a great thing on a wet downward slope. Not a great thing going down the
cargo ramp of a C5 Galaxy. I survived anyway. Maybe you could make an
argument for the all-1" thing to be a Good Idea if you regularly towed an
M416 or M100 with an awful lot of tongue weight, but still - I wouldn't do
it.

(It would be a fine thing if people tempted to post "you don't know what
you're talking about!" could run to the cupboard first and see if they have
any Tact left on the shelf. Right next to the dusty jar marked
"Politeness". Awesome.)