Re: [MV] Detroit Lockers on M35?

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 03:03:37 PST

Whew Bill, that was alot said. I've heard stories of the 813s tending to
plow when on softer ground because of the Detroits in the rear. I never really
experienced that with my old deuce which had lockers in the rear axles. Learning
how they function can help in most conditions for example; you are trying to
make a u-turn out in the back 40 with your locked up deuce. You are on a
slight upgrade while making the turn. Since you are under power the lockers will
tend to stay locked and plow just a bit. Since you are on grass, even though you
don't need it, you could engage front drive to help pull you around the
corner. I do this alot in my unlocked truck when in sand because even without
lockers they tend to plow forward. I have no fear of using the lockers in both
rears but I could see how one not famailar with their use would have a problem
with them. Also for your consideration is that they will do more damage to the
front yard than the unlocked truck. Now as far as the air lockers, some complete
norway axles are available here in the states and are new in crates or
rebuilt units. If one could afford the extra money 2 of these in the back would be
ideal for anybody. Forget converting your existing axles, these would require
complete replacements. Also, the norway trucks had an airlocking front axle
too. Haven't seen any of these back in the states but one of our listers got
creative and bought a rear and converted it into a front but not without getting
some parts shipped from norway. I've heard that the axles are available used in
norway. In the word of rear lockouts, I think Arthur is real close to a
production rear hub. There are always tradeoffs when installing lockers and you
must consider the truth about if you are going to use it off road and are they
really necessary. On a final note, whe those of us who take the deuce off road,
what seems to stick us in most conditions? Unless I'm hauling something, my
front end tends to stick me more than anything else. It all goes back to
nearly 7000# on 2 skinny tires (front) vs 7000# on 8 skinny tires on the rear. I
don't know the exact axle weights but you see the point. Detroit warns about
putting lockers in the front axle for obvious reasons but.... anyway my point
made. The final thought before closing is this, once you get your truck locked
up and get it stuck, you will quickly realize that you are a whole lot more
stuck than you were before the lockers came about.

Kenneth Engle
Loxahatchee FL
71 A.M. General M35A2
73 A.M. General M275A2