M35A2 and low fuel (or pump adjustment)

From: uniquemachine@cybcon.com
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 16:00:28 PST

Hi all

  I have a 1967 Kaiser M35A2 with turbo multifuel motor. It usually
runs OK, but as we all know, they aren't known for huge amounts of
power or great speed. Well, there is a long uphill street that I have
to drive while on the way home, and is just steep enough where 4th
gear will not quite pull after shifting from 3rd (although I always try to
get a good run at it from a stop sign.) Well, awhile back while
driving home one day, it seemed to be running much better and felt
like it had more power and actually managed to pull the hill in 4th. I
was surprised to say the least. But when I got home just a minute
later, the truck ran out of fuel ( I guess I thought I had more fuel than I
really did) So, the truck ran real good and pulled strong just as it
was running on it's last amount of diesel. SO, what does it mean?
Is the injector pump dumping too much fuel? So maybe while it was
about to run out, it couldn't send as much fuel and therefor had the
power it is really supposed to? If it pumps too much fuel, would it
be alittle underpowered? Also, how do you tell if the density
compensator is bypassed? I always run straight diesel.

Jon
MVPA#23597

1967 M35A2
1974 M151A2