Fw: [MV] amber flashing lights

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 18:38:31 PST

***Forwarded to list at request of original poster, cgarbee@ipass.net****

From: <cgarbee@ipass.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 8:48 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] amber flashing lights

> Quoting chance wolf <chance_wolf@shaw.ca>:

Some
> > states have a list of restrictions a mile long, some couldn't care
less -
> > and even in those where you're technically contravening the local
Christmas
> > Light policy, I think many officers realize it's a safety issue and not
> > "Look at Me!" issue. The sensible ones at any rate.

 Agreed. In North Carolina, General Statute 20-134 requires the use of a
amber
 flashing light on mail carriers (bith USPS and contractor owned
vehicles)...
 GS 20-130.2 requires amber lights on wreckers and DOT vehicles (and DOT
then
 defines that any self propelled piece of equiment meets this definition of
DOT
 vehicle including those used by contractors...). GS20-129.01 requires
amber
 lights on vehicles over 80" wide...

 FWIW: GS 20-130 covers additional lighting on vehicles (not covered in the
 section on headlights, tailights, tag light, backup light, and turn
signals)
 such as spot, auxillary driving, red/blue lamps (emergency
fire,rescue,medical
 for red, law enforcement for blue), modulated head lamps (law enforcement
and
 selected DOT vehicles...).

 The breakdown of colors runs down to:
 Blue- Law Enforcement
 Red-Fire, medical, emergency vehicle
 Yellow, Orange, White- general cautionary such as slow moving, overwidth,
odd
 and sudden movement, etc.
 Green, Private security (didn't look up the GS number for this one since it
 didn't seem to affect any of the folks on this list too much...).

 A few years back, a lot of the sheriff departments ran red/blue combination
 light bars to illustrate that the officers had EMT training. Now, they
sneak
 a few amber light under the blue ones that can "chase" from one side to the
 other to help direct flow around the car during traffic stops or accident
 response...

 I'll summarize the light statutes on my website where I have the kids in
the
 back rule (ok with restrictions...).

Be safe,
 CGarbee