Re: [MV] amber flashing lights

From: Caleb Pal, Network Operations (sysop@spitfire.homelinux.com)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 22:17:20 PST

Hello all,

Thought I would throw my 2 cents in here about what I have done. I have a
M1009 that I put a federal vector lightbar on. This is the lightbar used by
ther NYPD, 7 pods in a V shape, with the point of the V facing forwards. If
I remember the spec, 715 flashes a minute. Pretty impressive. I had 4 of the
pods clear, with amber inserts in the rear, and 3 pods with nothing on them.
The cop pulled into the mechanics shop I was at one day, and said "Nice
truck, don't like the lightbar much". Our PD had a m1009 for a while, so
thats probably why. I now have green on 4 of the pods, with clear on the
other 3. In washington green is for private vehicle identification, for
firefighters. It DOES NOT give me the right to speed. Its for ID only. In
the summer we have a billion tourists here, and on the 4th of july, plenty
of fires. Getting from wherever I am to the fire station can be a pain, so I
thought why not. I am the fire dept. I have passed about 5 cops in the
county here, and nothing has been said. The fire dept. is probably the
reason I have not been hasseled. Its fun to be driving at night, and watch
people slow down when they see me, the green looks blue at night. I don't
see why amber would be a problem, but in some states it sounds like a pain.
At least get about 20 of those little marker lights and throw them on the
back. I have seen quite a few semi's set up with enough lights to take an
extra few batteries to run them ;). Like someone said, I would rather do the
right thing, and go to court then get run over.

Caleb