Would like information about M246's

From: Robert Buettner (ww2reenactor@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 15:31:29 PST

Hello list-

The other day the misses and I were out driving around
looking for some acreage to buy. We are getting tired
of city living and would like to move to the outskirts
of town. Well, we were drinving down a road I have
drove down everyday for the past 4 years and we
decided to take a right onto an intersecting road.
After going down the road for about a mile we come
upon this old truck sitting in a farmer's field
surrounded by trees. I quickly stop the jeep and look
long and hard at it. I notice it looks like a
M-series wrecker. My wife says "How nice another army
truck." Well I keep on driving so as not to let her
think I am interested in it, and vow to come back at a
latter date, sans wife.
The very next day I decide to stop back and look a
little closer. Sure enough it is a military wrecker.
Hmmmm, a 5-ton wrecker. A 5-ton Gas engine powered
military wercker. Wait a minute... Why is there a
fifth wheel on the back of this truck? Whoever owns
this truck ruined it I thought. So I head back home
to consult the standard catalog of Military Vehicles,
2nd Edition (Thanks David Doyle!!) and to my suprise
I find the very truck I was looking at earlier in the
day, but without the mounds of snow.
The catalog says it is a M246 Truck, Tractor, Wrecker
and were designed to haul a trailer or to to general
wrecker work.
So far that is all I know. A search on the internet
has turned up little and I would like to know more
about this unique vehicle. Can anybody help me out?
Let me hear your war stories if any one of you used
one of these in the service or own.owned one of them
in your lifetime.

Thanks,
Robert Buettner
Appleton, WI
Dodge WC-63

=====
Visit http://personalpages.tds.net/~shannaandrobert/
The web site for:
N.E.W. Iron Brigade (MV Club)
3rd Inf. Div., 3rd Recon. Troop Reenactors
Dodge WC-63's