Re: [MV] Jet A fuel Vs. Diesel question

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 23:11:04 PST

Diesels engine fuel injection pressures are generally 2500 PSI in older
Diesels. The newer ones use much higher pressures to give a cleaner burn
and a finer spray from the tip. I don't know what the pressure is in the
combustion chamber of a turbine but in most Diesels it is 750 PSI and up. A
friend of mine was a wheeled mechanic in Desert Shield/Storm and all Jet A
was provided by the Saudis. He had a failed HMMWV in that died on the road
2 miles from a refueling point, installed a new fuel injection pump after
discovering the pump drive shaft had failed. He then started the engine and
it ran fine for about 20 minutes and died again. When he lifted the hood
noticed the same failure.
         Discovery/Solution.....opened fuel tank and stuck arm in until
wet.....pulled out and noticed the fuel was dry.no lubrication qualities at
all. Did same to 6 other vehicles in motor pool and found same type of fuel
in all Dumped one quart of motor oil into the tank and then he and three
others shook vehicle side to side for one minute to mix, opened fuel filter
bleed and bled filter until lubricated fuel showed up. Started vehicle and
notified motor officer who put the word out to all troops using Saudi Jet A
use motor oil or ATF fluid every time they refueled.

James Shanks
n1vbn@arrl.net
1998 IMZ 8.103
1984 HD FLHT-C