Re: [MV] Jet A fuel Vs. Diesel question

From: Sean Nichols (Sean.Nichols@xilinx.com)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 14:02:22 PST

Back in the day... when I drove a jet fuel truck, the guys told me that
in a pinch, we could run Jet A in the straight diesel road trucks we
had. The catch was, as they explained it, Jet A doesn't have the
lubrication properties that diesel has (oil), and would as a result in
increased wear in the engine and cause a "lean" condition and
engine/exhaust temps would be higher. They said never run it on
straight Jet A, but a mix once in a while was ok.

I tried it once, when I was out in the boonies chasing our helicopter to
a fire. I was running low on diesel, and the little fuel stop I found
wouldn't take my company credit card. So I fired up my pump, and
transferred about 15 gallons. Sure enough, the truck ran just fine...
in fact, it acted as if I had put race fuel in it. It really pulled the
mountain pass I was on with ease, and got me to the next little town
where I could get diesel.

But the guys in the shop would run their kerosene flame heaters in the
shop on Jet A all day long. It was cheaper than K-1 too.

Dunno how the deuce would like it, but I would imagine it would be a
similar deal.

My $0.02 worth.

Sean Nichols
'42 IHC FFN-3 Crash Truck