Re: [MV] jump starting with a 24V generator

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 09:16:30 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave" <gpw1942@verizon.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 5:43 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] jump starting with a 24V generator

> Hi Mark,
> Not sure what the list will have to say about this.....but.
> I recently had my passenger side alt rebuilt for my M1009. When I
> reinstalled it, the battery was dead. I jumped the front battery with my
> civilian jeep (12 v) and she started up.
> I believe the starter is 12v, the list will correct me if I am wrong.
> The only problem would be the 24v glow plugs. I don't see why you could
> not put a 12 v battery charger on the second battery to solve that
problem.
> Dj

Starter's 24V on CUCVs. Also, for those who may come across a pile of
starters not knowing whether they're 24V or 12V, look on the top of the
solenoid and you'll see a "24V" if it's the 24V type.

I've been told by a few people that the motor itself is common to both, and
it's only the solenoid that's different. Maybe on some, but when I've put
it to the test by changing the solenoid to 12V and installing it in a 12V
Chev 6.2 Crew truck - it wound too slowly.