Re: [MV] jump starting with a 24V generator

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 09:51:45 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "mark baxter" <alleywayguns@bacavalley.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2004 11:24 PM
Subject: [MV] jump starting with a 24V generator

> Listers
> I just won a 84 CUCV Blazer at the county auction, It has not run in a
few
> years. I have looked at thte Batteries and they look like they were new
when
> the beast was parked.
> I read the article in MV Magazine about reserecting old batteries, BUT
> until then, is it safe to jump the CUCV with the 24V generator? I sure
dont
> want to
> FUBAR anything that would set me back a lot of money or ruin anything.
> Thanks Mark M-886 & CUCV Blazer

Make sure the batteries aren't stone-cold dead flat, or the minute you
jumpstart it and remove the jumper cables, the alternators are going to be
going flat-out trying to charge batteries which might not be chargeable
despite their new appearance. The fellow who rebuilds alternators for the
movie fleet told us that going full bore, the alternator type fitted to the
CUCV just can't dissipate the resulting heat, and cook.