Re: [MV] Radio Question

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Feb 21 2004 - 10:10:51 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Martin" <mung@in-touch.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2004 6:16 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Radio Question

> Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember that hams took the
> AN/PRC-6 and re-crystaled it for six meters. It worked but had a wide
> signal...in comparison to ham stuff...like the ham stuff had a signal
> 6kcs wide and the Prick-6 had a 25 kc wide signal? Anyone else know
> about this? Fred KE8SS

Without looking it up, I think the deviation for FM-Narrow is something like
5khz, where for FM-Wide (like the military sets) it's 8khz. Figures like
25kHz, 100 kHz and 50 kHz you come across with respect to the 25s etc.
relates to channel spacing. I thought of trying to crank up the deviation
of the FM-Narrow sets to a level more compatible with the FM-Wide sets, but
others on the list were dead right, and the signal would be clipped by later
stages.

I've got a boxload of low-band Motorola MT handhelds at work, and trying one
with the 524 set gave the expected "quiet" results on the 524 receiver.