Anybody seen this? Is it for real?

From: Amnon (amnon@deltaforce.net)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 08:41:11 PST

A friend just sent this.

Subject: True Surprise?

Just had to send this along. Sometime, people are just not what they seem to
be.
      With the death of Capt. Kangaroo, thought this was rather timely.
Captain Kangaroo turned 76 last year, which is odd, because he's never
looked a day under 76. (DOB: 6/27/27)

      It reminded me of the following story.

      Some people have been a bit offended that the actor, Lee Marvin,
is buried in a grave alongside 3 and 4 star generals at Arlington
National Cemetery.

      His marker gives his name, rank (PVT) and service (USMC). Nothing
else.
      Here's a guy who was only a famous movie star who served his
time, why the heck does he rate burial with these guys? Well, following
is the amazing answer: I always liked Lee Marvin, but did not know
The extent of his Corps experiences.

      In a time when many Hollywood stars served their country in the
armed forces often in rear-echelon posts where they were carefully
protected, only to be trotted out to perform for the cameras in war
Bond promotions,
Lee Marvin was a genuine hero. He won the Navy
 Cross at Iwo Jima.

      There is only one higher Naval award .. the Medal Of Honor.

      If that is a surprising comment on the true character of the man,
he credits his sergeant with an even greater show of bravery.

      Dialog from The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson: His guest was
Lee Marvin.

      Johnny said, "Lee, I'll bet a lot of people are unaware that you
were a Marine in the initial landing at Iwo Jima ... and that during the
course of that action you earned the Navy Cross and were severely
wounded."

      "Yeah, yeah... I got shot square in the ass and they gave me the
Cross for securing a hot spot about halfway up Suribachi...bad thing
      about getting shot up on a mountain is guys getting shot hauling
you down.

      But, Johnny, at Iwo I served under the bravest man I ever knew...
We both got the cross the same day, but what he did for his Cross
made mine look cheap in comparison.

      The dumb bastard actually stood up on Red beach and directed his
troops to move forward and get the hell off the beach. Bullets flying by and
mortar rounds landing every where and he stood there as the
main target of gun fire so that he could get his men to safety. He did
this on more than one occasion because his men's safety was more important
than his own life.

      That Sergeant and I have been lifelong friends. When they brought
me off Suribachi we passed the Sergeant and he lit a smoke and passed it to
me, lying on my belly on the litter and said, where'd they get you
      Lee?' "Well Bob ... if you make it home before me, tell Mom to sell
the outhouse!"

      Johnny, I'm not lying...Sergeant Keeshan was the bravest man I
      ever knew....

      The Sergeant's name is Bob Keeshan... You and the world know him
as Captain Kangaroo."

      On another note, there was this wimpy little man (who just passed
away) on PBS, gentle and quiet.

Mr. Rogers is another of those you would least suspect of being
anything but what he now portrays to our youth. But Mr. Rogers was
a U.S. Navy Seal, combat proven in Vietnam with over twenty-five confirmed
kills to his name.

      He wore a long sleeve sweater on his show to cover the many
tattoos on his forearm and biceps. A master in small arms and
hand-to-hand combat, able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat.

      After the war Mr. Rogers became an ordained Presbyterian minister
and therefore a pacifist. Vowing to never harm another human and also
dedicating the rest of his life to trying to help lead children on the right
path in life. He hid the tattoos and his past life away and won our
hearts with his quiet wit and charm.

      America's real heroes don't flaunt what they did, they quietly go
about their day to day lives, doing what they do best. They earned our
respect and the freedoms that we all enjoy.

      Look around and see if you can find one of those heroes in your midst.

      Often, they are the ones you'd least suspect, but would most like
to have on your side if anything ever happened.

      Take the time to thank anyone that has fought for our freedom.
      With encouragement they could be the next Captain Kangaroo or Mr.
Rogers.