Re: [MV] WW II OD (was) Original paint color for M135?

From: Doc Bryant (rbhonk1@cox.net)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 08:37:49 PST

Gents:

We have hammered around the paint color issue for a bit of time now. I was
going to stay out of it, but call it an irresistible impulse.

For my curriculum vitae, I spent six years as the regional rep for the
Automotive Refinishes Div. of the Sherwin-Williams Co. Perhaps you've heard
of them..."Cover the Earth" and all that? I covered West Texas and Eastern
New Mexico. A goodly sized chunk of earth.

A paint standard details how a paint will be made. It details how it will
be applied. Inspectors check to see that the paint is made to the
applicable standard.

Damn few inspectors get into the paint booth to make sure it's applied using
"standard procedures."

Changes in the type of thinner/reducer used can cause a color shift.
Changes in the air pressure can cause color variations. Changes in the
drying process can cause a color shift also. In some finishes, the color
can deviate from standard just because of weather conditions on the day when
the vehicle was painted.

Some might reply, "Oh Doc, that only happens in metallic or pearlescent
finishes." Au contraire, you can have color shift to to deviations from the
norm in solid colors. I can remember six or seven distinct shade variations
in GM's code 12 "refrigerator white."

Standards may lead one to believe that there is no this or that out there.
Because Standards prevent that.
Give me a Binks 7 spray gun and an assortment of solvents and a six pack of
beer and I will bust those standards all to hell. And I will show you that
which you have not seen before, and therefore does not exist according to
Standards. And I will look you square in the eye and say, "Hey, I just used
what I was told to."

Standards, you know.

Doc Bryant

1952 M37 currently immovable object, returning to natural state