Re: [MV] Electric trailer brakes

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 12:42:29 PST

I don't know about Midland, but I just looked at a Tekonsha brake
controller I have in my office, and it only requires wiring to a brake
light, a 12 volt power source and of course the trailer connector and
ground. It has an inertia sensor in it, and between that and the tail
light picking up power when the brake pedal is pushed, that is all that is
required to actuate the trailer brakes.

I think most of the other newer brake controllers out there work pretty
much the same way.

You could use a voltage divider setup with a couple of resistors to sense
the 24 VDC going to the brake lights and feed about 12 volts to the brake
controller. Where you get the other 12 volts to power the brakes is up to
you. (I don't want to get into the pros and cons of picking up 12 VDC from
the middle of the battery pack - (;->)) This is of course assuming that you
are using a M series vehicle to pull the trailer.

Sounds like you should be able to haul some serious goodies with that
trailer!

Good Luck,

Dave

--