Re: [MV] WW II OD (was) Original paint color for M135?

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 21:18:22 PST

Shooting a flat paint over a gloss paint that is very well dryed is asking
for trouble unless you rough up the surface somehow. Otherwise peeling may
occur. And if you rough up the surface, aren't you breaching the gloss
film anyway?

I think the main purpose of primer-sealers is to keep stuff from bleeding
through the undercoat and screwing up the finish coats. It makes a nice
consistent base on which to apply the finish coat. Not too porus so the
finish doesn't flatten out, and not too glossy so the finish doesn't grip.

How much moisture gets to the steel seems to be dependant on the entire
system; primer, sealer, and top coats.

Dave