"just a parking brake"

From: Eugene Nallin (enallin@bedford.net)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 04:41:24 PST

Hi all, I'd like some thoughts on the importance of the parking brake in a
deuce (1970 m35a2 turbo). Last week I posted about a rusted parking brake
drum. Thanks to all who responded- I will probably get a new one from Saturn
Surplus.

What surprised me was the attitude that "it's only the parking brake, so
don't worry about getting it perfect" that seemed present in several
replies. I believe that this era deuce has a single master cylinder. So if a
34 year old line or hose should break, how do you stop the truck except with
the parking brake?

So I wonder if:
1) The parking brake is worthless, even if up to specs
2)The service brakes are so good that they never fail
3)There is another way to stop, such as downshifting, or
4) Everyone has just been really, really lucky?

Seriously, this list is composed of a fantastic, helpful, knowledgeable
group. Thanks so much and God bless! Gene