Re: [MV] "just a parking brake"

From: Charles Kealey (cwkealey@charter.net)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 20:00:22 PST

Gene,
Just another couple of thoughts.

The truck was manufactured with the hand brake(emergency brake). I am not
sure about the federal law here but the State of Maryland requires all
manufacturers safety equipment be in good working condition. This does not
matter what kind of registration that you have. If it came through with
turn signals you would be required to have working turn signals even on
"historic" tags.

If something should happen where the truck was able to move and cause injury
or property damage you would be liable for these injuries or damages
personally. If the damage or injuries were determined to be caused by a
lack of maintenance of safety equipment on your part then possibly the
insurance company would have an out if they decided not to pay. This may
not be the case where you are intending to drive . . . but, I personally
would not risk it.

The chocks idea is also a big plus. I personally suffer from C. R. S.
Syndrome and after a long hot drive throught the Baltimore Beltway and other
major highways during rush hours have forgotten to apply the hand brake or
the chocks but so far not both together. As soon as I remember one of the
safety items here I remembered the other. Now it is becoming habit that I
am pleased to say I am sticking with to apply both the hand brake and
chocks.

Good luck with the truck.

Bill K.
MVPA #24623