Re: [MV] "just a parking brake"

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 05:16:39 PST

enallin@bedford.net writes:

> 1) The parking brake is worthless, even if up to specs
Answer; the parking brake works great for parking. It would probably be good
for 1 slow stop in an emergency situation but thats about it. An emegency
brake it isn't but I'd darned sure use it in an emergency. Summary, it's
necessary!
> 2)The service brakes are so good that they never fail
Answer; Wrong!!! they fail and when they fail, it is miserably. Doublecheck
your system on a regular basis. Don't run, fly to the nearest parts source to
repacle any questionable steel or rubber lines. Don't mix brake fluid either.
Most come from the gov't with silicone fliud. If what you have is in question,
confirm it.
> 3)There is another way to stop, such as downshifting, or
Answer; downshifting can cost you an engine but hey, if you are going to
crash, I'd chose to ventilate a block then kill the soccermom and her 7 kids.
> 4) Everyone has just been really, really lucky?
Answer; perhaps. Maybe just good common sense when it comes to checking
brakes, pretrip inspections and just being aware of the brake system and always
leaving an "Out" when driving. I would fix the parking brake right anyway, its a
vital tool on these trucks. They can easily be bump started if left in gear.
They can ever run backwards I'm told so consider that. Another list member
who will remain unnamed has entertained us with potential horror stories of
runaway deuces without drivers. His lesson and my secondary lesson from him is use
chock blocks, always!
Kenny