Re: [MV] WW II OD (was) Original paint color for M135?

From: Ken Boge (ken@clovermachine.com)
Date: Tue Mar 02 2004 - 08:23:07 PST

As I recall in Vietnam we used gasoline as a paint thinner and applied it
with brushes in a very dusty atmoshpere. State-side, we cleaned vehicles
with diesel fuel to give them a nice shiny appearance. I wonder what affect
this may have had on the final color.
My point is that while all these specifications, manuals, directives, etc
have the purpose of producing consistent results under controlled
conditions, conditions arn't always well controlled.

This is in no way a criticism of any one attempting to find the truth
through research of specs and other documents. Researching and history is a
big part of what collecting is all about and I appreciate the time, skill
and patience put into these efforts. Just don't forget the exceptions.

Ken