Re: [MV] M35 question posted 03/03/04

From: John Doherty (mofta@hiwaay.net)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 20:34:33 PST

Thanks for the specific terminology Fred. It eases my mind after all these
years, to know what that thing was really called.

In my younger years of supporting our military, I worked in a government
contractor facility making cluster bomb casings and shipping containers. I
ran a 500 ton draw press making components of the nose cone. It required
rather large dies, and rather large tie down bolts, and rather large
wrenches. The press had a tendency to vibrate itself loose from its
mountings in the floor.

The first time I had to tighten the nuts on the mounting studs, I was
informed by the shift maintenance supervisor to use the BMF hammer to torque
'em. I did, until the forklift operator that was setting the die crushed
the handle while backing into a little I-beam. We never could find that BMF
manufacturer listed in any of the tool catalogs. Now, I know we were
looking up the wrong name! Go figure, after all these years, to find out
what it really was, NAVY surplus!

Thanks
John