Re: [MV] M35 question posted 03/03/04

From: ke6myk@sbcglobal.net
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 07:04:51 PST

"Jim Zehr" <jeeperjim@cox-internet.com> wrote:
> 1976---M35A2---s/n 032511522

I'd guess that it's an AM General truck, based on the year and the
format of the serial number.

> If the fuel shutoff lever or cable broke wouldn't the injection pump default
> to a run position rather than a cut-off position? I assume that it has a
> return spring mechanism of some sort installed.

The engine stop plunger on the injection pump is spring-loaded. If the
stop cable broke off, it should generally pop into the "run" position.
However, it could be gummed up, or the stop cable could be binding. I
don't recall from your first post exactly how it ended up where it is.
Did it suddenly die and get left there, or did the owner stop there on
purpose, and then he couldn't get it started again? If it's the
former, then I doubt it has much if anything to do with the engine
stop control, because I can't think of a likely way for that to
suddenly fail in a manner that stops the engine.

> Can these trucks be towed for a short distance with the back up rather than
> the front ( 1 to 2 miles slowly )?

A more knowledgable list member may correct me, but I wouldn't
recommend that.

For towing with the front wheels off the ground, determine whether the
truck is an "air shift" truck (i.e., the front axle is engaged by an
air valve), or a "sprag clutch" truck (i.e., the front axle is
automatically engaged by a sprag clutch in the transfer case). If it's
an air-shift, I think the truck can be towed without dropping the
driveshafts. If it's a sprag clutch truck, then I believe that the
driveshaft should be disconnected before towing it. The tow truck
drivers that I've worked with have generally dropped the shaft in
either case to play it safe.

An air shift truck will have a valve lever mounted on a sheet metal
bracket under the dash, near the center. There will also be an
indicator lamp on that bracket.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <ke6myk@sbcglobal.net>
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/