Re: [MV] M35 question posted 03/03/04

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 08:35:25 PST

Hi John...glad to be of some help. <g> I thought I'd seen some big 'ol
clobbering irons in my time...but one job I had years ago was making
locking keys for sow blocks on a board drop hammer used to forge
wrenches and such. These machines couldn't be set on the floor, too much
vibration from hammering...they dug a pit and they had railroad ties
stacked up under them...and anchored to that. Well, anyhow, when I
finished one and took it out to them I thought I'd stick around and see
how they drove it in. It held the bottom die (2 or 3' square steel) to
the machine base. They just wheeled an overhead crane over to it and
they had a bar of steel about 5 or 6" in diameter and about 4' long that
had a piece welded to it to pick up with the crane...and swung away. It
wasn't anything new to them and it had been used before cause it was all
mushroomed on each end...rivaled the sound of any Japanese gong you ever
heard. Those guys looked mean too! <g>
Well, I'm straying away from mil content so I'll add this to ease the
pain of some members: Your talk of bomb casings reminded me of
it...There was a company (I believe in Oklahoma) that made bomb sights
during the second world war. With the war over, there wasn't much use
for bomb sights, so, they were looking for a new product to manufacture.
A tool and die maker back in the tool room decided that he needed a new
fishing reel, so, he designed and built himself a new type fishing
reel...management somehow got to see it (unusual) and said "Hey, thats
so neat...we need to manufacture that and sell it." So, a new business
was born...a new product...but the name stayed the same...the company
was Zero Hour Bombsight Company...(now known as Zebco.) In my collection
I have two that have the Zero Hour Bombsight Company logo under the
reelseat. Fred Martin