Re: [MV] [MVlist] Military quiz question- Centurion tyre pump

From: Bobby Joe Pendleton (bjpendleton@charter.net)
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 14:37:20 PST

Scurvy became prevalent when sailors began to spend months at sea without
fresh vegetables, and in such cases it was usually fatal. In 1795, lime
juice was issued to all British naval vessels on the recommendation of the
Scottish physician James Lind, who knew that the Dutch had employed citrus
fruits for several hundred years; scurvy soon began to disappear among
British seamen. Oranges and lemons, higher in vitamin C content than limes,
have supplanted limes as antiscorbutic agents.