Re: [MV] [MVlist] Military quiz question- Centurion tyre pump

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 00:05:32 PST

>I have always used the terms "Yanks" and "Poms" with caution as
>particularly with the term "Yank" I was under the impression you
>could offend southerners?

Hmmm... not sure you can offend a southerner by branding a northerner as
either "Yankee" or "Yank". However, I don't think southerners would take
too kindly to being called "Rebs" (i.e. "Rebels") by someone from the
north though. At least it used to be a negative term when used in this way.

>Nice to know that is not the case. I will stay right away from
>"Yankee".

The difference is "Yank" is a very common term for "American" used by
many foreign nationals. Therefore, rightly or wrongly, it is not
geographically specific. "Yank", in my experience, tends not to be a
problem for northeners when used by a southener. At least I don't know
any northerner who would take offense to such a term. Provided, of
course, it isn't used just after a colorful metaphor used to describe the
act of love making :-) On the other hand "Yankee" is generally
associated with the Union forces (and follow up Carpetbaggers) from the
Civil War era. When used by a southerner it is, or at least often is, a
condescending term. It implies the bitterness of the Civil War struggle
and the resulting aftermath.

>I believe the US term is "Limey".

Most Americans I know understand this to be a negative label and only use
it when intending it as such or as a friendly jab in a safe atmosphere.
 Most frequent term I know of in America is "Brit". This is an accurate
term, if ever there was one, but obviously some might see it as an
insult, although not as bad as calling a Scottsman an "Englishman" :-)
 Boy, don't that git the pipes a droppin and the kilts a flying :-)

Cheers,

Steve