Re: [MV] m35 turn signal problems continue

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 06:37:36 PST

Jim,
Adding a resistor in series with the lamps is not a solution. A resistor may
be installed in parallel with the flasher transistor to prewarm the
filaments, but that would only work if the flasher started in the "off"
condition and that may not always be the case.
In defense of the new design, I will say that when all the lamps and wiring
are installed properly, a short circuit is not particularily likely to
occur.
I have built one flasher with short circuit protection and a filament
preheat resistor, but it's not economicaly feasable when old take-offs are
so available. Just try to find an old one, it should last forever. If there
is a short in the lamp circuit, the built-in circuit breaker in the 3-lever
lamp switch should trip when the turn signals are used.

Yes, you can replace the solid state flasher with a bimetallic flasher. Just
make sure it is made for 24 volts and connect it between pins "A" and "B" on
the flasher connector. Pin "C" is ground and would not be needed.

Cheers,
Bjorn