Stinger Email Virus - Please read - IMPORTANT!!!

From: Tom Kassab (tom.kassab@kascar.com)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 08:49:25 PST

There is a email virus that started last week called the "Stinger" - your
regular anti-virus program most likely does not currently have the patch for
it - I checked with our IS department and they told me to go to McAfee's
website and download the free patch (see attached link).

Directions:

Click on the link below.

Click on "Download Stinger.exe v2.1.2 [740,871 bytes] (3/08/2004)"

Then click on "Open"

Once installed click on "Scan Now"

 Here is a link for the Stinger Virus anti-virus patch - you may want to
pass this one around.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

This is an excerpt from their website:

McAfee AVERT Stinger
Stinger is a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses.
It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to
assist administrators and users when dealing with an infected system.
Stinger utilizes next generation scan engine technology, including process
scanning, digitally signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT!!!!
I received a couple emails like this that contain the virus - do not open
anything that looks like this:
Dear user of "KASCAR.COM" mailing system,
Your e-mail account has been temporary disabled because of unauthorized
access.
Advanced details can be found in attached file.
Attached file protected with the password for security reasons. Password is
12622.
Have a good day,
The KASCAR.COM team

(It is a .ZIP file) DO NOT OPEN!!!!!

You should also go to Microsoft Windows Update and check for updates - also,
run an update to your anti-virus software.

Best Regards,

Tom Kassab
President & Chief Executive Officer
Kascar, LLC