Re: [MV] Towing an M35A2

From: everette (194cbteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 15:08:55 PST

I have seen the military tow by front lifting shackles - there is a device
on military wrecker that hooks to these for this purpose they also secure
towed vehicle to back of tow truck in such a manner that there is no slack
between the two vehicles - never saw one towed by military from the back
(not to say they do not do it - I just never saw it)

I had my M139 towed by a commercial tow truck and he used a wheel lift -
extends from back of tow truck and has forks that pick up vehicle by front
axle, and clamps so that axle can not bounce out of forks.. We were only
going about 20 miles so did not take drive shaft down, for an extended tow
it is my feeling that with front axle off ground the shaft from transfer
case to rear end should be removed - for the front wheels on this truck
turned as it was being towed - sprag was doing it's job. This same company
also towed truck for a friend of mine from rear - same way picked up rear
axles, tied steering wheel - again was only going short distance so left
shafts in place.

Everette