RE: [MV] Caveat Emptor

From: Glenn Shaw (wolf.star@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 19:47:34 PST

Hi List
I guess I would like to weigh in on this discussion. So far this matter
has been conducted in good taste by adults and is a credit to this list
that such discussions can be carried on rationally. It is entirely on
topic and should be addressed on the list since Mr. Combat brought it up
here.

I must state that I have been in the MV business for 35 years now and
have had dealings with Mr. Richard Thiers. I have bought 2 M1009 CUCV
Blazers from him as a matter of fact. He has always been completely
honest and forthcoming in his dealings. I have NEVER found him to be
sleazy, or dishonest in any way. I have felt that way with plenty of
dealers but not Rick. His trucks were always good trucks, used but as
described.

Why someone would buy a truck without even laying eyes on it is beyond
me. But that is "Combat's" right. Had the buyer simply taken the time
to look at what he was going to lay the cash down on, all of this would
not have happened. But we all know that. Even the buyer acknoweldges
this fact below. The problem comes when he attaches the "Caveat Emptor"
labeling to Mr. Thiers specifically. It should not be put on him
anymore than any and every buyer should beware to check out the truck
himself. Then there will not be any misunderstanding about what the
product is or isnt. We all know that old military vehicles with rare
exceptions are not going to be perfect, but rather have some problems to
be sure. Just look the truck over and if the deal is made then you are
getting what you are happy with for the price you are happy with or
don't buy it. But don't blame a guy who is a stand up dealer who sells
you something as invloved as a used truck sight unseen from hundreds of
miles away that doesn't meet the picture in your imagination as to what
it is going to be.

We need to be fair to each other in this hobby. That includes being
fair to a dealer who has not done a thing wrong, by not slamming him and
his business here on a list that stretches across the country and the
world. Lastly I feel that if someone wants to make statements or
inuendos on the list regarding the character or another list member, by
name, they should begin by using their name so we know who they are and
not hide behind some fictional handle. We would like to know who we
are speaking with here. Its not fair to speak cloaked in an alias when
you are getting down on people.

Glenn Shaw
MVPA
MTANJ