M16 Halftrack Story

From: John Brian Seeling (JBSeeling@cox-internet.com)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 16:32:06 PST

I recently purchased an M16 halftrack that once belonged to Keith White. I
am told that Keith died a year or so ago in a plane crash. The halftrack,
with turret and matching ammo trailer, were sitting on a car lot in
Texarkana, TX. This track was listed recently on ebay but there were no
bids on the ebay auction and i bought it from the car dealership that keith
had been running when he died.

The dealership gave me a bill of sale and what appears to be a new hampshire
title showing the halftrack to be titled in the name of the "atterbury auto
club." Title appears to have been transferred from the auto club to Keith's
car dealership (Pete Mankins Pontiac/Cadillac) in August of 2000.

Well, I'm trying to figure out some history on this vehicle. All I know,
for sure, is that the frame has a serial number of 282491 and that the
vehicle appears to have been recently (last 5~10 years ago) restored. All
armor, paint, etc is very good. Correct tires, good tracks, halftrack runs
like a dream. I called Gary Hebding and he said to call Lloyd White for
help on tracking down the history, but that number is no good. I'm sending
a copy of this directly to David Doyle and Jim Gilmore, but if there is
anyone out there that can shed some light on my particular vehicle's recent
history (or history of the M16 halftrack production/assignments/original
delivery dates), then I would greatly appreciate anything I could get. I
have some digital pics, and could e-mail them if that would help. If
someone has a website where I could post them, I would be happy to do that
also.

By the way, Metropolitan ageed to add the halftrack to my antique auto
policy, so the insurance issue seems to be solved (for the short term, at
least). I already have an M37 and two M35's on that policy, and it isn't
expensive for those trucks, but I haven't seen the bill yet for the M16.

- John Brian Seeling
  Alexandria, LA