Grommets etc. Thanks!

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 04:51:09 PST

Thank you all for responding to my question about canvas grommets and sewing
ideas!
The following is a summary of most of the answers I received. They are
general in nature and may be of interest to others:

Kent:
Take a look at pages 3470 and 3471 of:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

They have EXACTLY what you need.

Wayne Harris:
I don't know about handheld but any machine that can handle denim should
work. But sailors know all about sewing canvas, here is a link to a list and
a websites. Wayne

http://www.sewforum.com/

http://canvasdealer.com/tools.asp

http://www.sailmakerssupply.com/Store_Pages/Threads_Needles.html

http://www.industrial-sewingmachines.com/products/abc0070.html?ppc=goog&campaign=industrial_machines

http://www.sailnet.com/collections/gearandmaintenance/index.cfm?articleID=caseyd026&coll_cat=Canvas&Coll_name=Canvas%20and%20Cushions

Steve Randall:
My wife picked me up a hand held sewing machine that you can use with one
hand and runs on either ac/dc or batteries. It is called "Sew N' Sew" and
she got it at "The Christmas Tree Shop" for around 5-10 bucks..I use it to
sew on my arm patches for my Seabee uniforms but it seems like it has enough
power to do canvas. I don't know if you have these stores where you are, but
I'll try a sample on canvas in the next few days and let you know.. Good
Luck...

Buzz:
I buy mine at Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=30037
I don't know about a portable sewing machine, but I replaced the rotted
thread on a MUTT herculite top by using a sewing machine needle (eye near
the point) held in a pin vise along with another regular needle and Dacron
thread. Anchor both threads, then push the sewing machine needle through the
material then thread the regular needle through the loop and pull the sewing
machine needle back through the material. I was told to use Dacron thread
because the original nylon thread will rot from UV sun rays. The process
might be tedious if you have a lot to do.

Kenny in Florida, suggested Colemans for supplies.

Once more, thank you for your help.

Have a great day!

Bjorn
MVPA19212
Meadows of Dan, Virginia 24120 (Light snow on the ground this morning and 19
F)

Find a broadband plan that fits. Great local deals on high-speed Internet
access. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/