Re: [MV] M1009 CUCV steering / ign switch problem

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Mar 27 2004 - 07:48:50 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Royce C Hayes" <rc_hayes1@juno.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2004 5:29 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] M1009 CUCV steering / ign switch problem

> I had a similar problem with a K 5 Blazer.
>
> I would try liberal amounts of WD 40 around and in the ignition switch. I
> don't have my book handy, but, it seems that we pulled the steering wheel
> to take the pressure off the switch and then pulled the switch. There
> may be a pin accessible under the horn mechanism that holds the switch
> in.
>
> I do not know if the parts are interchangeable, Pep Boys or any parts
> store may have a new switch.

The ignition cylinder and actual switch parts are interchangeable with the
civilian off-the-shelf stuff for the same year-model. The first CUCVs I had
to deal with had punched ignitions and other damage so I had to go through
all the ignition/steering-column stuff a few times over.

I've had those cylinders mechanically jam on both the CUCV and civilian
Chevys, as probably have many others out there in Chevyland because I think
the replacement cylinders are something like 14 bucks (they come with their
own key, so you'll be out-of-luck using your CUCV fleet key unless you get
an actual CUCV cylinder from somewhere.) When you get to the part where
you have the steering wheel off and turn indicator assembly removed, from
what I recall you'll be staring at a small squarish aperture next to the
rounded part of the steering-wheel casting as you're staring down towards
the bit right above the lock cylinder. Usually if you take something like a
cheap dinner-table steak knife and insert the blade into this square - you
can give it a sharp whack with the flat of your hand and it usually frees up
the cylinder (which you can then pull out with your hand.) I think the
Haynes manual for the 84-87 Chev trucks has the entire procedure if you have
one handy, just replace "Special Tool GM-3612456-26" with "Steak Knife:
Cheap" when you come to that part. :)

(Some cylinders and columns also have a black-headed 5/16 or 9/32 hex bolt
which retains the cylinder, but I can't remember if that's a later GM thing
or not. It'll be obvious when you pop the steering wheel and remove the
turn-indicator setup.)