Re: [MV] Aluminum Welding 101

From: mark@ehle.homelinux.org
Date: Sat Mar 27 2004 - 10:11:41 PST

John -

eBay has often times great deals on older tig machines. I bought an old Lincoln
300/300 tig welder for $268. The seller thought is was broke, but it turned out
that he just didn't know how to set its various knobs and switches. It welds
smooth as silk! All my tig supplies (except gas) come from eBay, too.

The other MV guys are right - tig'ing aluminum takes mucho practice. Plan to
lay in a goodly supply of scrap to practice with. Be sure to get a stainless
steel wire brush and use it ONLY for the aluminum. Your metal (including the
filler rod) can never be too clean.

BTW, a welding helmet that automatically darkens will do more to improve your
welding (tig-stick-mig-whatever) than any other single thing.

Good luck to you!

Mark
1970 AMG M35A2