Re: [MV] Aluminum Welding 101

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sat Mar 27 2004 - 07:12:37 PST

>Can anyone on the list clue me in on how to weld aluminum?
>I'm pretty bad with a stick, pretty fair with a MIG, but have never done
>aluminum.
>What equipment do I need, what does it cost , etc.
>The aluminum I need to weld is approximately 1/16" to 1/8" thick.

To MIG Aluminum really require a MIG unit that can get you into the spray
transfer mode, typically over 30 volts. Also it is very hot and as such hard
to do on thin metal, I usually don't bother MIGing anything under 1/4" and
perhaps even 3/8". TIG is the prefered way to go for anything thinner but
you need a TIG machine that does AC and has the high frequency function
also. Either option would most typically use Argon as a shielding gas If
you've never done TIG you might want to go take a class, even if you know
how to TIG steel, you'll find Aluminum to be very different.

good luck,

je