Re: [MV] Turbine truck motor experimental What is it? Deuce,5ton?exotic?

From: rertman@ix.netcom.com
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 10:14:30 PST

Dave,

I looked at the eBoo info. The 38.5 KW generator puts out 115 VAC 400 Hz
3-phase electricity. I seriously doubt it's a truck engine. Most likely,
it was in a flight line power cart and used to provide 400 Hz power to
aircraft for something like starting large jet engines or for for aircraft
ground testing. It may also have been an auxiliary power unit (APU) that
was mounted in a large aircraft, also for starting and running electrical
and/or electronic gear on the ground.

Some time back, Teledyne bought out the Continental Engine Co., which makes
aircraft engines, including piston and turbine engines. Teledyne Continental
Motors has a facility in Ohio and their phone number is 419-470-3000. That
facility mostly makes turbine engines and related stuff for the military.

Back in the 70's, there were some turbine powered commercial tractor-trailer
rigs on the road. I think they were made by Ford. The tractors were cab over
and their exhaust stacks were HUGE...about 18 or 20 inches in diameter. And
they REALLY hauled butt up the hills. They used a special automatic transmission
driven by a set of reduction gears. The engines basically had 2 speeds; idle
and run. The special transmission took care of changing ratios for the speed
range.

With that generator attached, I'm almost certain that the unit was used as a
power generator on the flight line. I doubt that it was the APU on an aircraft.

Hope this helps,

Dick