Re: [MV] 5 ton injector pump on a Deuce part III

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@arrl.net)
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 02:55:37 PST

Cliff,

         I presume your requesting help on the Multi-fuel engine? If so
read on.

         The problem you are having is not new. The fix may take one to
several days. It happens because the truck sat around without being run
(the engine) for a long time and no oil got to where it needs to be. Go to
your local auto parts store and buy a good "rust buster" aerosol can. If
the can also has some lubricating qualities this would be good. Follow the
shutdown cable to the fuel distributor and it should go to a cover with two
large screws or bolts holding a cover on the side of the fuel
distributor. Remove cover with the cable attached. Inside you will see a
small lever approximately 1/2 inch in length pointing down at the ground
that has a range of motion from left to right of around 45 degrees or so
this lever IS THE THROTTLE AND CONTROLS THE FUEL INJECTED ON COMMAND FROM
THE GOVERNOR AT THE OTHER END OF THE ROD, attached to this lever is a small
rod that runs horizontally to the right into governor portion of the fuel
pump assembly. Attach the little itty bitty red plastic line to the spray
nozzle and liberally spray into the governor assembly lets say a good 30
second blast in there, also coat the little lever. That small lever
connect's to a small geared ring inside the fuel distributor (the part with
the fuel injector lines attached 6 of em) and is what controls the amount
of fuel injected into each cylinder. BE CAREFUL NOT TO BEND THE ROD OR
LEVER. When everything is correct that small lever should be moved very
easily by one finger (RONZO, HELP ME HERE PLEASE) if I remember correctly
it is spring loaded and should when released snap back to the idle
position. DO NOT MOVE THIS LITTLE LEVER WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING AS YOU
COULD OVERSPEED ENGINE!! When you are ready to start the engine this
little lever should move very freely and SNAP back to the idle position.
Don't even think about running the engine if it doesn't snap back freely.

         Ronzo had the same problem you are having and this is what we did
to free it up. It took Ronzo with a small nutdriver style 2 inch long tool
that just fit over the rod end that came out of the lever to move it slowly
back and forth with great resistance while spraying into the governor end
until it finally freed up and started snapping back slowly. 30 minutes
later it was snapping back and moving with our little pinky finger with no
resistance whatsoever. The we started it and it worked fine.

         Be aware this could take you 45 minutes to fix or 4 or 5 days but
short of removing the fuel pump and spending a few hundred dinero to have
it rebuilt this procedure should work fine so long as you remind yourself
(it will run...it will run...it will run)

         Having a friend around to mumble at/with also helps lots.

James Shanks