M1009 sparking shifter linkage

From: Amnon (amnon@deltaforce.net)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 08:24:26 PDT

I just had the tires replaced on my M1009, and as I started it to pull out,
everyone went "oooooooohhh" and stepped back. Turnes out that while the starter
is spinning, the shifter linkage is producing sparks, and the only thing we
could come out with is that the ground between the transmision and the frame is
not completely there (or non-existant). The plastic bushing for the shifter
unf=der there was all gone, so I am replacing that (which should take care of
the sparking there) but the question is, should there be a ground strap between
the transmision/engine to the frame? With that weird 24V I didn't want to do
anything stupid.

Shalom Ya'll
Amnon Nissan

Deltaforce