Re: [MV] Flat Towing an M151

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 09:00:23 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas M McHugh" <tmmchugh@msn.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 6:22 AM
Subject: [MV] Flat Towing an M151

> Mutt Experts,
>
> Questions:
>
> To tow an M151 with a Tow Bar, what must be done, prior to towing ???
>
> What shafts must be disconnected ??? Any at all ???
>
> Are the requirements for an M151A1 & M151A2 the same ???

I think the -10 manual talks about max distance and stuff when towing them,
but having said that, I've towed them for miles and miles in neutral with no
problems whatsoever. You can't really drop the driveshaft to tow them
because the driveshaft is the only thing that keeps the coupling pushed on
the splines of the transfer-case output shaft, and, if that driveshaft is
dropped, the coupling will follow suit some distance down the freeway.
They're easy to find afterwards though. Just backtrack the resulting
slugtrail of 90W! (it happened to me when I removed a damaged driveshaft
and drove home on the front axle alone. Yeah. Coupling fell off and
transmission bled to death.)