[MV] 2.5 ton hub removal, 2 soldiers?

From: D O (dohe69@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 12:51:01 PDT

Getting ready to pull hubs on the deuce, wheels are already off. I realize
the ideal way is to have a dual tire dolly and pull the hub/wheel off as an
assembly, but the dolly's are expensive.

How heavy are the hubs, can they be pulled off by one person safely, without
risk of throwing out your back, or dropping it and smashing something
important?

I've got some scrap steel and was thinking of making up a jig that can be
inserted into a standard floor jack in place of the cup. It would bolt to
the lugs on the hub and possibly have a tilting mechanism for levelling.
The only thing I would like to do is make it somewhat of a universal fit for
other vehicles; you never know, I may have a 5 ton someday :-). Can anyone
tell me the outside diameter of the hub of a 5 ton, as well as the diameter
of the lugs? Just to be sure I don't make something that only works on one
vehicle.

Tax headache? MSN Money provides relief with tax tips, tools, IRS forms and
more! http://moneycentral.msn.com/tax/workshop/welcome.asp