RE: [MVlist] Re: new light switch available - it can't just turn on the lights -

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 05:02:13 PDT

Actually, the new switch, with its surface mounted components is probably a
lot less costly to manufacture than the original precision machined, silver
plated contact one.

Perhaps the worst condition one can impose on vehicle electronics is the
"load dump". This occurs when the generator/alternator is charging an almost
discharged battery and the connections come loose (never disconnect the
battery cables when the engine is running!).
A load dump can produce voltage spikes in excess of 125 volts for a few
milliseconds, enough to kill any unprotected/low voltage transistor.
Special electronic components called varistors, are used to protect
sensitive electronics. Does the new switch have one of these (cost less than
50 cents/ea in quantities)?

Plenty of solid state 25 amp regulators fried and must have provided lots of
repeat business for the makers because they didn't have this varistor. I
once purchased several 25 amp regulators from a seller on ebay and 2 out of
3 were damaged from from this condition.

The new switch must have power to operate. Is it always applied or is there
a switch to turn on the switch?

Bjorn
MVPA 19212
Meadows of Dan, Virginia