Re: [MV] Tech manual for 5-Ton M939 Series Cummins 6CTA8.3 Engine

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 08:13:07 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne Harris" <papercu@hotmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2004 7:27 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Tech manual for 5-Ton M939 Series Cummins 6CTA8.3 Engine

> But I think that is a
> stock engine so there should be a civilian one, of course they call it
> something silly like a "shop manual" and not a "Direct Support and
General
> Maintenance" manual. Wayne

Cummins Engines locally doesn't even blink when I tell them the engine I
have and look for bits and pieces, so I would think you could get the
service manual directly from them if you wanted. There are one or two
irritating differences I've come across so far, mostly that I couldn't get
the "emergency shut-off valve" that mounts to the injector pump because the
civilian version evidently has no direct counterpart. I just bypassed it
for the time-being until I can acquire another from somewhere.

I just went through the whole 'starter' thing with that truck too. Wound up
getting a 24V from Cummins, rebuilt by Cummins, and for what I thought was a
really reasonable CDN 374.00 with core exchange. I had a pallet-load of
Cummins starters from some GL sale eons ago, so cores weren't a problem,
though I sure had a crash-course concerning the differences in very similar
looking starters. This is probably kindergarten to the Old Hands, but in
this pallet of starters, all were 24V and all would easily bolt up to the
engine in this M925A1, but I was smart enough to check the bendix gears
first. Good thing too, as the tooth-count was different on most of the
starters in the pile, and it would be pretty easy to grab the wrong one and
tear up your flywheel post-installation. Ow. I found out that the starter
model is "40MT", and the other bit of nomenclature they like to have at the
parts counter is "11 CW", which I imagine stands for "11 tooth Bendix,
Clockwise Rotation."

I went through the other 900-series style Cummins starters we had, and most
seemed to have solenoid problems (wouldn't throw the bendix out with enough
effort, or did intermittently, or not at all), where the others had really
sloppy bendix gear fits or what seemed like other bushing/bearing problems.
I didn't see any reason to mess with them given that rebuilds were so cheap
and reliable, so I'll save 'em up as cores for the next M939 we get.