Re: [MV] CUCV question

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sun Apr 18 2004 - 18:05:26 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <Recovry4x4@aol.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2004 5:39 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] CUCV question

> David, further on the towing capacities. TM calls for 1200# for the M1009
> with 100# tongue weight. The others in the CUCV family are rated to tow
3100#
> with a 300# tongue capacity. I can tell you that with the anemic 3.08
gears the
> M1009 would be very stressed over 3000#.

I thought they purposely down-rated the 1009 out of fear that towed loads
approaching the actual weight capacity of the vehicle would tend to flip it
in corners given its short wheelbase.

The diff setup on the 1009 does seem weak though. I'm not an expert on rear
ends by any means, but when mine blew up, the rebuilders said they were
somewhat notorious for "not being very strong" and baking much like mine did
(carrier bearing, driver's side.)

(I've towed lightly loaded 3/4 trailers with mine and had no problems with
control etc., but I doubt I'd try it with some 36 ft. long fishing boat or
somethin'.)