RE: [MV] Biodiesel

From: Glenn Shaw (mpmutt@mtaofnj.us)
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 09:17:09 PDT

Hi Art
No I would say that your posts on the subject of fueling our diesels are
right on topic. I would add that up until recently I heated my shop
with one of those waste oil forced hot air oil burner systems. It
worked great but required more time and effort re. filters etc. I
fueled it not only from the oil drain generated here but with the oil I
picked up for free from the local high school auto shop. The kids
change their oil there all day long so there was a good amount. The HS
used to have to pay to have it taken away as Haz Mat and were very
thrilled because I would show up with a truck and pump it out for free.
Then the lawyers hit like with everything else in the US. I was told
that I needed a HazMat DOT vehicle to pick up the oil and carry it away.
I was told I had to post a crazy amount of a bond to guard against a
spill on Town property. People started looking at it like I was trying
to build a nuclear plant in town. End of story, I went back to burning
Saudi oil in the burner and forgot the whole thing. And now the school
is paying 25 cents a gallon to have it (the HAZMAT) taken away.??? I
hope they don't consider restaurant veggie oil hazmat. They
shouldn't....after all we eat the stuff. But the old petro oil is
Hazmat.

Glenn
MVPA
MTANJ