RE: [MV] Biodiesel

From: mil-veh@ziptar.com
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 09:14:07 PDT

It's not difficult at all, especially if you go the biodiesel route. My only
issue with bio-diesel is it usually costs more than diesel. If you buy it
it's generally ~$.20-$.30 more than diesel at the pump which makes no sense
to me.. It is cheap to make though assuming you have access to free oil. I
haven't had the problems you guys have had getting used oil. If you can get
the free oil you might as well run it straight without mucking about making
bio-diesel. After all Rudolph Diesel originally designed his engine to run
on peanut oil.

On the surface it seems only a total earthy crunchy tree hugging
environmentalist crack pot would want to do it... Screw the environment... I
am a wallet hugger!

I have followed both Biodiesel and SVO for a couple of years now. After
seeing hundreds of people rack up thousands of miles with it I am convinced
it is a practical way to go. I have logged about 10,000 miles on 100%
Bio-Diesel when it was ~$.40 cheaper than diesel last year. I am currently
converting my car that I use to commute 1000 miles a week to run on SVO. I
figure what I spend setting up the car to run it, it will pay for itself in
4-5 months.

If you need a precedent of using veg oil in an MV, I have heard that during
the Africa Campaign that Rommel used Veg oil in his tanks when he was unable
to get re-supplied with diesel.

Anyway it's worth a look...