M1009 tires + M211 and trailers

From: Caleb Pal, Network Operations (sysop@spitfire.homelinux.com)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 22:27:34 PDT

Hello all,

Well I picked up the fire departments water buffalo (M107A2) today to have
at a brush pile we are going to burn. It towed fine, but a little slow up
the hills, full of water. I just wanted to ask you guys, how do you back
these darn things up? You really can't see it out the small back window, and
since the trailer isn't that wide, you really don't see it in the side
mirrors till its half way jackknifed. Just wanted to ask you guys if you had
any tricks for backing these up without taking out half the forest :).
Another thing is the M1009. Have any of you ever tried larger tires. Mine
has the stock 31's on it, and I was looking at 33 inch BF Goodrich Mud
Terrains. My friend has a set, and they have lasted him 70,000 on his
toyota. The m1009 is definately heavier, and will wear tires a bit faster.
There is quite a bit of wheel well space. Just curious if anyone had tried
33's without a lift or whacking the body. Would like to be able to take it
back to stock if need be, so if 33's involve chopping, il'l just stay with
31's.

Thanks A lot!

Caleb

Military Vehicles I regularly drive or own:

1952 GMC XM211 2.5 Ton Cargo Truck W/Winch (Mine)

1952 GMC M135 2.5 Ton Cargo Truck (Mine) (Parts truck)

1984 M1009 "CUCV" 3/4 Ton Multi-Purpose Vehicle (Mine)

1986 M1008 "CUCV" 1 1/4 Ton Truck (FD)

1971 M35A2 AMG 2.5 Ton Cargo Truck (FD)

1957 M107A2 400 Gallon Water Buffalo (FD)

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged
information. Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the
intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute,
or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or