Re: [MV] M1009 tires + M211 and trailers

From: m35products (m35prod@optonline.net)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 06:12:01 PDT

I worked one summer as a lowly 3rd assistant brakeman on the Penn Central
RR. We had a new (to us) conductor sign on one week, and he had come from a
part of the country where apparently they had not heard the expression
"Stop". He said into the radio "That'll do!" when he wanted the engineer to
stop the train during a set-out operation on a siding. He kept saying
"That'll do!!!", each time more loudly, until the boxcars ran into the
bumper at the end of the siding. The engineer knew exactly what the
conductor meant, according to the accident report. "He said that what I was
doing was fine" said the engineer,"Why else would he have said 'That'll do'
instead of 'Stop'?" Luckily the only thing that got broken was a coupler,
and not arms and legs.

apb