RE: [MV] None of the Walmarts -good point

From: mil-veh@ziptar.com
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 05:09:11 PDT

 Same Here, I not only look for the "Made in USA" Label, but I also make it
a point (and many times have to go out of my way) to do business with
independent small business instead of supporting conglomerates and big box
stores. I even prefer to order stuff over the internet and wait than support
places like Wal-Mart and Home Depot who solely exist to line CEO's pockets
while putting the squeeze on employees and suppliers all while moving jobs
overseas. I gladly pay an extra 10% at my local independent hardware store
than set foot in a home depot.

As far as going overseas.. Don't get me started.. I am a programmer for huge
multi-national... Everyday I wonder when I will be replaced by a guy in
India who will work for 10% of what I earn. It's caused me to take a good
hard look at my life and what I was taught growing up.. The whole "go to
college, get a good job with a solid company, buy a house and work hard for
40 years." just doesn't work anymore. Companies have no loyalty, they will
discard you as soon the bean counters discover they can put an extra % in
the CEO's pocket.

I myself hope to be out and on my own in 2 years... I don't care if it's a
Lawn Service. I just want to be standing on my own two feet, beholden to no
one. We should have been taught, "Get a good education, no matter where!
Start a business and stand on your own two feet!"

Same as you I am just one guy but, It makes a difference for me.