Re: [MV] 380 HP with a 5.9 cummins! in a hummer?

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 07:24:27 PDT

>List, found this
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2475601936
>
>wonder if it is really posible to obtain that HP and
>if somebody know about the exact required
>modifications
>to start saving some money

Interesting. Seems like two projects really 1) putting a 6B... Cummins in a
Hummer and 2) putting a 380HP 6B... Cummins running at 4500rpm into anything.

The first is admirable, looks like a very nice job. The second is just
silliness.

As to doing an engine conversion to save money, your not going to be saving
any money with 380HP, try more like 150, that would/should get you in the
low to mid 20's with that weight of vehicle.

That other link talked about using an Allison 545, said it can handle
1000ft-lb. Oh really, ever looked at the ratings for them? If a 545 could
handle that kind of torque then why on earth would Allison make larger
trannys (at larger prices) that are used (and needed) by larger trucks with
far less engine torque rating than that? I have a 545 in my suburban behind
a 175hp 354cuin Perkins, I'm within the rating for the tranny but not by much.

Oh well, you could get 10,000 hp out of a lawn mower engine, for about 1/2
revolution, whatever floats your boat I guess.

later,

je