Re: [MV] (MV) M880 gas mileage

From: Mel Miller (nourmahal@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 21:15:20 PDT

Howdy List,

This mileage thread gives me a good excuse to share the results of my
problem resolution process with my 1977 M884.

Some may remember a while back that I was having problems with fuel not
staying in the float chamber if the truck sat a few days without use.
The fuel pump, although appearing to be relatively new and putting out
decent volume when diverted to a catch can, was unable to push fuel past
the filter into the carb. Many people sent in suggestions centered on
stopped up fuel lines/ fuel tank unvented, etc. I replaced the Carter
Carb with a NOS late style Holly. That did not help. Finally I turned
the problem over to my NAPA store mechanics. It turned out that the fuel
pump was bad - it would pump when disconnected from the filter but would
not develop pressure. Secondly, the NOS Holley seals were so dried out
that fuel was draining out of the float chamber. I told them to rebuild
the carb with new gaskets and replace the fuel pump. Now I am back to
13 - 15mpg on the highway not towing anything but with a good tune up
and fresh Champion Plugs and HD plug wires.

YMMV,

Mel Miller
Corpus Christi, TX
361-937-3317
M725
M884
86 VW Doppelkabin Drop Side Diesel PU (OD)