gasoline - grades - diesel

From: everette (194cbteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sun May 02 2004 - 05:53:45 PDT

I have read with interest posts about fuel mileage - let me post this please
and respond if you wish - flame shields are up.....

  My gasoline burning MVs are M37s and I cannot keep them running long
enough that fuel mileage is a problem.

I purchase my diesel and farm Co-op - decent price and fuel is fresh

I drive two different trucks in my work, a GMC 1/2 ton pickup with big block
engine and 3/4 ton Chevy with 350 engine. 1/2 ton has in excess of 800,000
miles (no not original engine) 3/4 ton close to 200,000 - engine came with
truck My gasoline purchases are governed by price only, and I never
purchase anything other than regular grade (87 octane). I have never had
problems with either of these truck (and 3 other civilian vehicles) that was
traced to fuel. I do not use fuel additives, change fuel filters about
15,000 miles, and seldom find any noticeable amounts of trash. I have one
hard and fast rule about fuel, never fuel up while tank truck is delivering
fuel, I think it stirs up to much trash.

Fuel mileage on 1976 1/2 ton runs 13-15 in normal driving, if I keep speed
down maybe a little better, loaded and driving 70 mileage will drop to 12.
By loaded I mean pulling trailer with 7,000 pound load, add to that weight
of trailer and is over 9,000 pounds

3/4 ton will do some better it is 93 model so has throttle body. pull same
trailer and same load mileage will drop to 14-15. This truck has utility
bed and carries good bit of weight all the time, even with that mileage will
exceed 16-17.

I try to never let either truck get below 1/4 tank and try to keep them
full. I have been told that if vehicle is throttle body you should not run
below 1/4 tank because fuel keeps in tank pump cool, if you run much below
1/4 tank you shorten life of pump.

Everette